Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Update: Appetizers, Starters, Tapa's, whatever you want to call them, it's OK

I love to have 'Appetizer Night' and have friends over.   Everyone brings a dish, I usually do two or three or more, and we all have fun.    And when you do it like this, everyone manages to get enough to eat, without having to make dinner.   Plus, I get to make new dishes, try new recipes, and generally have fun.

A little spread
It's been a long time since I've had people over for an Appetizer night so I decided we'd do it this coming weekend.  And I thought I'd let you in on a couple of ideas I had.     I'm going to try my hand at some Cheddar Pinwheels.   And maybe even some Artisan crackers.    I have a recipe I've been dying to try.   And I think it will go great with one of my favorite (and dead easy) topping ideas.    Basically, take a chunk of cream cheese, cut it half, place it on a shallow dish with a lip and pour some hot sauce or sweet hot sauce over it.   You can scoop it or spread it, or just spoon it up, which I've been known to do.  You can also soften the cream cheese a little, spread it out in a shallow plate, and pour some cocktail sauce over it, then add some shrimp.  Again, real easy, looks festive and tastes great.   

I will also have some salsa and chips, and am going to make some Chile Arbol sauce.   I made some a while back and it was so good.   I found out that it could freeze well, so guess what I'm keeping in my freezer from now on.

Stop on back here in a day or so and I'll share with you what other dishes I and my friends come up with.

UPDATE:    Here's the update.   There were big goings on in town the same day of the party, we went downtown and enjoyed the parade, visited with some friends, and I didn't get back in time to put together the artisan crackers like I'd planned.    So I went with the tried and true, and made a favorite of mine.   And this is dead simple as well.   Three ingredients, and easy.    Thinly sliced ham, cream cheese and spring onions.

Spread some cream cheese on a slice of ham, place a green onion on top, and roll it up.   Put them in the fridge, and serve them to your guests when they come.   This is a great appetizer that can be made earlier in the day and put them aside til you're ready to serve.
I did make the Chile de Arbol sauce, and served it.  I posted the recipe here. http://seapalmtreasures.blogspot.com/2011/02/chile-de-arbol-hot-sauce.html

I also tried a new recipe and decided that it needs tweaking.  Here are the pictures of it being put together, but when I pulled them out of the oven, they fell apart.   But the taste was ok. 



Baked Cheese Olives


1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. Softened butter
½ cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
24 pimento-stuffed green olives

  1. In a small mixing bowl, combine cheese, butter, flour and cayenne pepper. Blend well. Wrap a tablespoon of dough around each green olive. Arrange the wrapped olives on a baking sheet.
  2. Chill 1 hour before baking
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
I also made some Gougeres, but they totally failed and I didn't get any pictures of them at all.    Oh well, there's always next time.  


For more recipes please check out   http://sidsseapalmcooking.blogspot.com/   

All about food. *giggle*








No comments:

Post a Comment